I was reading a blog and a father had written down things that he wanted his daughter to know when she went off to college. There are some things I want my kids to know.
If you are a parent I encourage you to do this.
1. Always be who you are. No one you can imitate or want to be like can ever make up for an original you. God made you unique to bring so much joy to all you encounter and give glory to the One who created you. Psalm 119:73-74 You made me; you created me. Now give me the sense to follow your commands. May all who fear you find in me a cause for joy, for I have put my hope in your word.
2. Make time to know what you feel, and know that those feelings may change tomorrow. So for today, feel what you feel then pray, make a determination about it in a positive direction, and move on. Psalm 4:4 Stand in awe, (know your own anger) and sin not: Commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still.
3. When you hear a comment toward you that hurts your feelings. Remind yourself of all the other comments you heard that were good. Don’t focus too much on criticism but give it a little consideration, that it could be true. God could be giving you a nugget of wisdom for the journey. Then revert back to #2. Psalm 139:14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
4. Never give up on your dreams, it will all be worth it in the end. You never waste your life when you are pursuing God led dreams. Ps. they may change… you didn’t give up your dream if you change your mind or clarified better what it is your after. Seek God and He will direct your path. Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare, and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.”
5. In times that are really hard physically, mentally, and emotionally: be careful not to go it alone and stay quiet about it within yourself. Know that God is with you and have given you those that love you, so that, you can talk it out. Joshua 1:9 “Be strong. Be brave. Be fearless. You are never alone.”
6. Crack yourself up at least once a day just because it feels good. Poppy said, “It’s a wonderful thing to be weird, never forget that! Laugh. Be silly. Enjoy! No matter who’s watching. God loves to hear you laugh! Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.
7. When you want to call it quits. Do it! For 5 minutes. Take it to the Lord then get back up and go try again. Tenacity will serve you well and you will reach many goals if you will just get back up! Proverbs 24:16 For though a righteous man falls seven times, he will get up, but the wicked will stumble into ruin.
8. You will teach people how to treat you by what you do to them, allow, put up with, and don’t talk about. It’s not rude or being unkind to care well for who you are. God gave us codes of conduct, use em’ Matthew 7:12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.
9. People tell you who they are all the time. It doesnt mean you give up on them or stop loving them when they show you their ugly self. It means you give them extra space to figure out why people are giving them so much space. God knows how to deal with people. Sometimes that space is a great tutor, don’t forget to pray for them. Luke 6:45 good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
10. How you treat people is more important than how you feel about people. You may come home from a hard day and be frustrated with the people you spent time with that day. Talk it out with your close people so that the irritation doesnt fester. However, if you find that you can’t stop talking about how irritating someone is then it is time to go to the person and be honest, ask for forgiveness, and irrigate your irritated heart. How you feel about people will change with circumstances. How you treat people is the feeling you choose to leave with them about you and your God. Ephesians 4:29-32 Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.
After I finished writing this I can see some themes that are important to me.
- You matter and make a difference in this life.
- You do not have to be ruled by the changing tide of emotions.
- You choose how you will act and be.
Fearless, Faithful, Forward!
Thanks for Listening,